Dogs are nosy creatures sniffing at anything of interest. Since dogs find insects interesting, they investigate them and when they stick their nose where it doesn’t belong, they get a quick reprimand! Hence, lots of insect bites occur on the nose.
What to do if your dog has been stung? So! Remain calm.
Pull out, or better still, scrape out the sting using a credit card or similar below the poison sac, then bathe the area in water. Don’t try to squeeze the sting as this could force more of the poison into your dog’s body.
Applying ice will help to soothe the sting.
If the sting is in the mouth or throat, contact the vet as it may swell and interfere with breathing.
If your dog shows and signs of allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock, contact your vet immediately as this is a medical emergency.
Can I give my dog antihistamines?
Many websites recommend giving dogs antihistamines from your own medicine cabinet to treat a bee or wasp sting. Some human antihistamines are ok for dogs but others can make them seriously ill and can even be fatal, so please don’t give this to your dog without first speaking to your vet to check the specific drug is safe for your dog, and that the quantity is ok for the size and weight of your pet.
Signs that your dog has been stung by a bee or waspI:
- Biting or giving attention to the place they have been stung
- Swelling in a specific area
- Holding up the affected area e.g. their paw
- Pawing at the affected area e.g. their face, mouth or throat
Signs of an allergic reaction when your dog is stung by a bee or wasp:
- Rapid breathing or difficulty breathing
- Weakness or collapsing
- Pale gums
- Excessive swelling around the sting and spreading away from it
If your dog is displaying any of these signs, you should contact your vet immediately and make arrangements to take your dog in for emergency treatment.